4ad-l Mail for 09-02-1996

Mail in Archive

Subject: RHP in Cleveland
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:45:16 -0400
From: Tim Nekuza (ff417@cleveland.Freenet.Edu)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:12:29 +0000
From: Luis Fernando Castro Karg (lifer@infored.com.mx)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 19:25:43 +0200
From: snailhead (Guy.Vandekerckhove@RUG.AC.BE)
Subject: Re: E-Mail Address for HNIA?
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:37:53 -0400
From: "James M. Renaud" (jrenaud@GOPHER.CHEM.WAYNE.EDU)
Subject: Re: hnia live - any good?
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:44:52 -0400
From: "James M. Renaud" (jrenaud@GOPHER.CHEM.WAYNE.EDU)
Subject: Re: DCD t-shirt and merchandising...
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:12:46 -0600
From: PATINO MORELL MARCO A (dg084252@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 15:18:55 -0700
From: lkg (lkg@phantom.com)
Subject: 4ad concert reviews (long)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:20:12 +0000
From: Jason Wintz (moran@hal-pc.org)
Subject: HIS NAME IS CRAP
Date: 1 Sep 1996 18:16:01 GMT
From: samples@ix.netcom.com(Samples)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:13:11 -0700
From: Snarlo (repetti@UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU)
Subject: DCD in Mexico. Interview with Lisa.
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 16:55:08 -0600
From: PATINO MORELL MARCO A (dg084252@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX)
Subject: More DCD in Mexico
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 19:57:04 -0500
From: Lebron (pepegtc@HALCON.LAGUNA.UAL.MX)
Subject: Re: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 17:35:15 -0700
From: Heffalump (n9344881@HONEYDEW.CC.WWU.EDU)
Subject: 4AD Give-Away
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 18:10:05 -0700
From: Fedgely Shep (guernica@HOTMAIL.COM)
Subject: Re: 4AD Give-Away
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:09:37 -0700
From: Alex Wolfson (ajw6@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Subject: Re: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:42:45 EDT
From: andromeda (aleppo@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Subject: 4AD Give-Away # 1
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 20:36:34 -0700
From: Fedgely Shep (guernica@HOTMAIL.COM)
Subject: Re: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:40:58 EDT
From: andromeda (aleppo@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU)

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:45:16 -0400
From: Tim Nekuza (ff417@cleveland.Freenet.Edu)
Subject: RHP in Cleveland


Hey kids!

Managed to catch, at least, some of Red House Painters' appearance in Cleveland
last night.  Someone made the odd choice of having RHP play at Speak In Tongues,
a very cool, underground, hole-in-the-wall on the near west side of Cleveland.
The un-air conditioned, byob space was literally packed with sweltering people.
While I'd like to say the music was making me swoon, it's more likely the fault
of the heat.

Kozelek was chatty and miserable.  The sound people took several verbal lashings
throughout the performance.  He took the stage with the announcement that he'd
tried to cancel the show, but his manager wouldn't let him...

In any event, RHP sounded terrific.  Kozelek has one of the best male voices in
popular music today.  Even though he claimed to not feel well, his voice was
just as emotive and evocative as on record.  My favorite concert moment, the
extended, guitar-in-the-lap solo on 'Make Like Paper.'  Hopefully, Ivo's
ears were ringing during the ultra-long rendition of the solo-fest, I know mine
were.

Added bonus!  As I stepped outside to breathe some actual air, I found a house
ablaze just a block away!  Woo hoo!  No one was hurt or around, just lots of
firemen pounding on the roof with axes.  All sorts of entertainment here in
Cleveland.

Tim


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:12:29 +0000
From: Luis Fernando Castro Karg (lifer@infored.com.mx)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico


Fui al concierto en Leon y fue
Maravillosos....excelso.......magico......indescriprtible!!!!!!!
No creo volver a ver algo de esa magnitud en el resto de mi vidad.
Lifer....


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 19:25:43 +0200
From: snailhead (Guy.Vandekerckhove@RUG.AC.BE)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico


On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Luis Fernando Castro Karg wrote:

> Fui al concierto en Leon y fue
> Maravillosos....excelso.......magico......indescriprtible!!!!!!!
> No creo volver a ver algo de esa magnitud en el resto de mi vidad.
> Lifer....
>

please don't use spanish in this mailinglist.
most of us don't understand it.

   Guy


     ..::''''::..'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
   .;''        ``;.   Guy Vandekerckhove                    "If I mail
   ::   :::::::    :  gvdekerc@eduserv.rug.ac.be             this letter,
 ::    :       :   :: gvdekerc@dds.nl                        you can send it
 :: .:'        `:. :: gvdekerc@freenet.hut.fi                back to me"
 ::  :    O     :  ::          O                                 -KH-
   :: `:.      .:' ::          /
  `;..``::::''..;',,,,,,,,,,,/. ______________________________________________
 ,,,,::::,,,,::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; SNAILHEADSNAILHEADSNAILHEADSNAILHEADSNAILHEAD@

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:37:53 -0400
From: "James M. Renaud" (jrenaud@GOPHER.CHEM.WAYNE.EDU)
Subject: Re: E-Mail Address for HNIA?


On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Michael Borum wrote:

> Does anyone out there have an e-mail address for His Name Is Alive?  By
> that, I mean does Warren have an e-mail address anywhere?  Instinct tells me
> "NO", but I just wanted to be sure.
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> Mike
> iceblink@tiac.net
>

your instincts serve you right jedi knight. maybe it's your jedi e.s.p. i
had to describe what the world wide web was to davin and warren last year
when i offered to do a page for timeSTEREO. they said it sounded kool and
that we could talk about it later. well, now i'm on a different server and
can not sell anything on my pages.

**************************** star vein ***********************************
**************************** http://www.science.wayne.edu/~jrenaud *******
**************************** jrenaud@sun.science.wayne.edu ***************
**************************************************************************
"since feeling is first who pays any attention to the syntax of things" **
***** e.e. cummings ******************************************************
**************************************************************************
**************************************************************************

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:44:52 -0400
From: "James M. Renaud" (jrenaud@GOPHER.CHEM.WAYNE.EDU)
Subject: Re: hnia live - any good?


i thought i told the story of that crazed guy who came from across the
country to camp out on warren's porch. that's just fucked. warren's
usually very nice and if you just go to one of his shows here in detroit
like the rest of the perfectly sane people on this list than warren
actually might talk back to and not serve you with a restraining order.
if that guy is on this list, your just looney.

**************************** star vein ***********************************
**************************** http://www.science.wayne.edu/~jrenaud *******
**************************** jrenaud@sun.science.wayne.edu ***************
**************************************************************************
"since feeling is first who pays any attention to the syntax of things" **
***** e.e. cummings ******************************************************
**************************************************************************
**************************************************************************


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:12:46 -0600
From: PATINO MORELL MARCO A (dg084252@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX)
Subject: Re: DCD t-shirt and merchandising...


Im sure you wont like to have one of the ugly unofficial tshirts that
they were selling outside the theather in Mexico City. I was also
expecting to find out a nice official t shirt as well as the program with
tha tape that was mentioned before on this list. Instead of that, there
were plenty of crappy pirate stuff. From DCD lightners, to the ilegaly
tape version of spiritchaser. There was also one "book" wich included
the history of DCD and some lyrics traduced in spanish. The information
was ok, but the design was awful. The economic crisis that Mexico is
living is one of the consecuences of this ilegaly action, but Im sure
that, if there were for sale some official, well designed and with good
quality DCD stuff, at least some people will have prefer to buy some of
these than the 30 pesos (4 dolars) t shirts.

Mis 2 centavos

Marco


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 15:18:55 -0700
From: lkg (lkg@phantom.com)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico


instead of telling people what language to speak in, maybe we
should try expanding our horizons? i personally enjoyed deciphering
what a fan in another country felt about an experience that moved
me incredibly. (dcd live!) i know very little spanish, but if you
look, you'll see how similar many of the words are to english...
here's what i got out of el posto:

        "went to concert in Leon...it was marvellous...excellent...
        magic...indescribable!!!!!!! don't think [i'll ever get to see
        anything] of this magnitude in the rest of my life."

see, it's not so hard! like alan watts said, if your mind is open
you can understand anyone anywhere...whether or not you speak the
same language...we all come from the same basic roots...

(of course i don't think i'd do so well with cyrillic or arabic
or oriental alphabets...but who knows? i'm willing to try!)

        :}

>  From: snailhead , 9/2/96 7:25 PM:
>  On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Luis Fernando Castro Karg wrote:
>
>  > Fui al concierto en Leon y fue
>  > Maravillosos....excelso.......magico......indescriprtible!!!!!!!
>  > No creo volver a ver algo de esa magnitud en el resto de mi vidad.
>  > Lifer....
>  >
>
>  please don't use spanish in this mailinglist.
>  most of us don't understand it.
>
>     Guy

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:20:12 +0000
From: Jason Wintz (moran@hal-pc.org)
Subject: 4ad concert reviews (long)


Well, it was an active weekend with two concerts to review:  His Name
Is Alive, and Throwing Muses.

Friday night saw the (brief) appearence of HNIA at the Urban Art Bar
in Houston.  Openning acts were Buddha on the Moon and The Gells
(?--I think that was their name; I can't recall for sure).  I met two
lurking listies there, Arthur and Jason, as well as seeing other
listies I already knew.

Buddha on the Moon were fine, much better
than the previous time I saw them openning for Bowery Electric.  That
time it was just hk on acoustic guitar and drum accompaniment.  This
time hk went electric, with a woman accompanying on acoustic guitar
and some vocals.  The girl playing bass seemed quite confused,
however.

The Gells were another story--I'm not really sure what genius thought
up the brilliant idea of having this band open up for HNIA.  I
believe this band is from Austin, although when I asked several
people in Austin the next night about this band, none of them had
heard of them.  All I can say about that is:  Hey, Austinites--don't
send your garbage here.  We've had enough problems with the local music
scene since the departure of the Pain Teens as it is.  This band has
obviously studied well their copy of the book "How to Be an
Alternarock Sensation" very well because they had the game down pat.
I hear crap just like this on the radio every day, which is something
they are doubtlessly well aware of.  Fellow listie dsroy opined that
their guitar solos would hurt their chances of commercial radio
success, but then he's always been too much of an optimist.  To
close, the band suggested that we go ahead and "stick around for His
Name Is Alive," which was great advice, as otherwise I'm afraid I
would have had to take a page out of Griel Marcus' book and leave
before the headlining act came on so as to not allow the impression
left by the openning act to be tainted by those who played later.
Moving on...

His Name is Alive entered with quite an interesting visual theme
going.  A lovely cardboard whale with bugged-out eyes adorned the
wall behind them, while after about three songs Warren awoke from his
stupor to realize he had forgotten his monkey.  A large cardboard
folding screen featuring a monkey peering over the reclining body of
a lion was brought out and set up in front of him.  Hanging on the
wall in front of the whale was a large "H" cut out of a plaid cloth,
and when the band arrived on stage they all wore sweaters with
similar "H"s on front (except I can't remember if Karen had one on or
not).  Warren has cut most of his hair off, and neither he nor
several other band members wore shoes or socks.  He looked a lot like
the autistic resident blues guitarist for the State Hospital.
(Perhaps he alternates playing on Thursay nights with Daniel
Johnston).  The keyboardist looked like he played on Sundays at the
First Church of Christ, Purgatory.  They played good versions of "Dub
Love Letter", "This World Is Not My Home (1st version)", and "Country
Girl/Bad Luck Girl".  Versions of "The Sand that Holds the Lakes in
Place" and "Jump the Boy" were not quite as good, marred by extended
guitar jams that sounded more like annoying cock-rockisms than the
glorious noise of the last tour, although one did at least serve as a
lead-in to "As We Could Ever".  And that was it--the end.  WHAT!?!?!?
Yes, their set was a mere seven songs--less than half an hour.  Why?
I don't know.  A friend who saw them in Austin the night before says
they announced that they had to cut the concert short because Karen
was sick, but they played for over an hour.  No explanation was
proffered at this show.  Needless to say, I and my companions were
pissed.  We did not stick around to see the follow-up band, Secret
Sunday (I think that was the name).  Does anyone who saw them feel
like commenting?


The next night found me in Austin with fellow listie thoth, checking
out the Throwing Muses at the Electric Lounge.  Openning act was a
group named after its frontman, Craig Ross, who was apparently
playing a show to celebrate his parents' anniversery (yes they were
in attendance).

With the desire to keep this review from getting too much longer, I
will just say that they sucked, and the bassist had the remarkable
ability to play in a stilted manner with no groove.  As thoth
remarked, however, he certainly had the "lost in the music" look
down.

Before the concert, the Muses made an in store appearance at Tower
Records, where they played a brief set ("Limbo", "Ruthie's Knocking,"
and two others which I can't remember if I saw them played there or
later at the concert--but they were all off of _Limbo_).  Kristin
played acoustic, Bernard played his bass, and Dave played a snare
with brushes for three songs.  The fourth song he put a towel over
the snare and played with regular sticks.  Very enjoyable, especially
watching Dave.

The concert was rather good, too, with only two downers.  First, the
bass was too loud and the guitar not quite loud enough.  While they
did turn the bass down for a while at thoth's prompting, they
eventually turned it back up.  The other problem was that this is the
fourth show in a row I've seen of them (ie I've been to shows for the
last four tours) and for the post-Tanya shows they always play the
same songs from the Tanya era:  "Bea", "Mania", "Drive", "Counting
Backwards", "Red Shoes", and "Cottonmouth."  The only exception being
that the last two times they played "Snailhead," and this time they
didn't.  Of course, these are probably the songs that were easiest to
translate to one guitar, but I sure wish that Kristin would hire
another guitarist so that their choice of older material would not be
so rigid.  Of course, while I'm wishing I might as well add that I
wish Leslie Langston would rejoin the band, and that Kristin would
re-embrace the "mathematical" style of guitar playing.  And while I'm
dreaming, let's make that additional guitarist be Tanya, and take
away Dave's crash cymbols and put a cowbell in there instead,
and.....

All in all, though, a very enjoyable show.  And much longer than
HNIA's.

moran@hal-pc.org

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:01:31 -0700
From: noisegirl (kelli@NETCOM.COM)
Subject: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...


  this was taken from alt.music.4ad and leaves me a bit sick to
  my stomach at what i may witness at luna park this week....

  *k*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-
From: samples@ix.netcom.com(Samples)
Subject: HIS NAME IS CRAP

Date: 1 Sep 1996 18:16:01 GMT Fierst, let me say this: I own 3 His Name Is Alive CD=92s: Livonioa, Home is in Your Head, and their latest, Stars on E.S.P. The first two are not great (by a long shot), but they have their interesting moments. I really like Stars on E.S.P., though. It is a brilliant and catchy pop album. Also, I should mention that I have seen hundreds of bands live over the years, including most 4ad bands. I have been dissappointed by plenty of concerts, but last night I saw the worst concert I have ever seen. I was so excited when I learned that HNIA was going to be playing in Dallas. None of my friends like them at all, but I managed to talk one into going with me to the show. Here is what happenned: The set started out with Warren (songwriter/guitarist) Defever by himself onstage. He doodled on the guitar for about 15 minutes. His guitar playing was awful. It was boring, monotonous, and full of audible mistakes. I don=92t play the guitar, but I=92m pretty sure I could have done something more interesting if I was on the stage. I joked to my friend that this piece was called =93Killing Time.=94 Mercifully, the guitar solo did eventually end, and it was time for the puppet show.=20 That=92s right, on the left side of the stage, there was a cardboard front with a monkey and a lion painted on it. It looked like a kindergarted mural. The rest of the band rushed onstage. The drumme sat down at the keyboard (I think it was a moog), and the other three hid behind the cardboard front. What took place next would later be explained by Warren to be a puppet show of Jonah and the Whale.=20 Musically, it consisted of warren and the drummer/keyboardist pounding out the same chord for about 10 or 15 minutes. I can=92t really say that there were no dynamics, because it did get louder at one point.=20 Visually, the puppet show consisted of unrecocnizable paper machet puppets being held up and shaken vigorously. The band members doing the puppet show would take turns holding up different puppets and occasionally throw plastic toys and balloons into the audience. This may sound cool to some people, but I assure you that it was stupid..=20 The puppet show climaxed when one of the guys ran off of the stage and came back with a blue piece of cardboard on his head which I think was supposed to be a whale. The whale ate one of the puppets, and the puppet show was over. Thank God. Now it was time for me to be blown away by a great band performing all those great songs from Stars on E.S.P., right? Wrong! When everone got situated on the stage, they were all sitting in chairs, and Karen Oliver, the singer, was sitting on the floor to the right of the stage with a tambourine. They began to play, and Warren was singing; well he was trying to, at least. He was, for the most part, unable to carry a tune, although it didn=92t look like he was trying very hard. The sound of the band was sluggish, whimpy, and out of tune. Everyone on stage looked just as bored as I felt. Karen continued to sit and sort of play her tambourine, mouthing along to the lyrics of the songs. After a couple songs, Warren said that he doesn=92t usually sing all of the songs, but that Kaeren was felling a little sick. He said she might sing a few songs later, becase he felt kinda sick too. By this time I was beginning to feel a little sick myself.=20 Show went on, just like that. Out of tune, bored, boring, sounding and looking like they just needed to be put out of their misery.=20 Occasionally, the bass player would do some backup vocals, attempting to harmonize with Warren. This did much more harm that good. Thier voices sounded like dying farm animals. After each song, there was a short spatter of applause, followed by silence, followed by Warren saying something stupid, followed by more silence, followed by another lame attempt at a song. =20 After about 8 songs or so, I asked my friend if he was ready to leave.=20 He said yes. I think he was ready to leave about 2 minutes into the puppet show. As we were leaving, one of those silent moments popped up, and my friend decided to heckle. He yelled, =93WHY DON=92T YOU PLAY SOMETHING LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!,=94 and I think he was right. Warren responded with a little hurt-feelings sound, and a couple people in the audience gasped in shock, and a couple more yelled out =93fuck you!=94 So, In the words of Johnny Rotten, =93Ever get the feeling you=92ve been cheated?=94 I sure felt that way. I want my ten dollars back! Look, if you=92re in a band, and your singer is ill, either cancel the show, or go out onstage and do something experimental, do SOMETHING with passion! Don=92t go out and do a half-ass, going-through-the-motions, we=92re-sorry-we-suck-but-thank-you-for-coming kind of show. Even if the singer was healthy, she could not have saved this show by herself. It was clear that no one on stage had any sort of talent for playing live music. If I want to go see a sloppy, out-of-tune concert, I=92ll go see someone like Pavement, because they do it with STYLE!! I don=92t know who actually recorded Stars on E.S.P., but I don=92t see how it could have been the band I saw last night. Love, Michael-Head

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:13:11 -0700
From: Snarlo (repetti@UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU)
Subject: Re: DCD in Mexico


>On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Luis Fernando Castro Karg wrote:
>
>> Fui al concierto en Leon y fue
>> Maravillosos....excelso.......magico......indescriprtible!!!!!!!
>> No creo volver a ver algo de esa magnitud en el resto de mi vidad.
>> Lifer....
>>
>
>please don't use spanish in this mailinglist.
>most of us don't understand it.
>
>   Guy
Why not? it definitely beats the nasty rantings usually found on this list...

Una persona que entiende,
Peter/Pedro


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 16:55:08 -0600
From: PATINO MORELL MARCO A (dg084252@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX)
Subject: DCD in Mexico. Interview with Lisa.


Here is a traduction of part of an interview that Lisa Gerrard
made to one of the most important mexican newspapers:

- Did you found, while  creating The Mirror Pool the perfect space of
liberty t o make music?

There are different levels of complexity in the work. When you make it
with a man sitting down next to you, you substract yourself in a way that
you spend complete days waiting for a door to open so that the work has
its own (independent) life. But if someone says a wrong word,
everything can go to hell. Its terrible. Its something that destroys your
nerves. On the other side, when you are working alone, you fight inside,
in another way, with a huge simplicity, because you take a look to this
work and you find out how much of a child you have when you are trying
to compose all the accidents that have brought you to that. With the
music we have a problem and the work concentrates in resolving it. The
artistic work is a way to solve problems. Is like the sense of touching:
Being touched by someone who loves us makes us free of the terrible
reality of the human condition.
When we make music we come closer to that kind of touching, to the real, honest
way of touching. We are in contact with our deepest and more private
feelings. There is no other way that we could still be around without it.
The other thing to do is to make an abstraction of the human pain until
it floats like a body in the universe, and then that pain comes back to
the person until it makes him ready to go to the psychiatrist.

- Can you say some words about the poetry without words of DCD?

Since I was a child, I remember that I started to sing without words and
I noticed that I was saying the truth. It was an inmediate way of telling a
story, and I could tell it in a fast-natural and different way without
sitting down to think. Listen with the soul and with the ear is a kind of
celebration. I just found a singing pray, an invocation: I noticed that
the vocal work is another part of the human condition and not only the
spiritual fragment. All the time I thought that it was only the spiritual
voice. Its very difficult to talk about these topics, you know, because
there is not a complete truth: each person is unique for itself in the
way he understands life.

-Are there going to be more albums from Lisa Gerrard?

yes, of course, and please stop me (joking)

-What about DCD's future?

I think we are going to do something more. We are waiting for Brendan to
have time for himself and for his guitar and his musical writing; he has
beautiful (musical) materials, beautiful ballads and whenever he is ready
to share them I will have the opportunity of working with a small vocal
group of orthodox rusians; I want to make a record with them

Taken from La Jornada newspaper
written by Pablo Espinosa and Monica Mateos
traduced by Marco A. Patino

.-I'm compiling some more DCD visit to Mexico articles. If you will like
to receive more of this information please e-mail me.

Marco
dg084252@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 19:57:04 -0500
From: Lebron (pepegtc@HALCON.LAGUNA.UAL.MX)
Subject: More DCD in Mexico


I know it=B4s kinda late but i just returned from Mexico City to attend the
DCD concert on the 28th! It was really an experience! I remember someone
This was really true! I=B4ve never heard live music like this, the=
 precussions
were astounding, Lisa=B4s voice amazing and Brendan=B4s playing was great=
 (even
though he got pissed at the sound engineers a couple of times... i wonder if
any one caught this?)

They played 5 songs from Spiritchaser, Yulunga, Cantara, Sanvean, etc. The
first encore included 2 songs: the first one centered in Lisa=B4s Yang ch'in
and featuring their BEST percussion ever! Robert perry stood beside Lisa
playing the guitar with the same chords of the Yang ch'in... it was one of
the best songs of the concert. For the last encore they played (it was no
surprise by now) Dreams become flesh!

Anyway, an amazing concert by amazing people and a truly unique experience!

FUE LO MAXIMO!


AUN SO=D1ANDO,

PEPE
*************************************************
'Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death.'
                               The Sundays
*************************************************

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 17:35:15 -0700
From: Heffalump (n9344881@HONEYDEW.CC.WWU.EDU)
Subject: Re: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...


> guitar solo did eventually end, and it was time for the puppet show.=20
> That=92s right, on the left side of the stage, there was a cardboard
> front with a monkey and a lion painted on it.  It looked like a
=2E..

Well, now I'm *extremely* excited for this show.  I hope they can do the
whole puppet thing in Seattle too...  How many of you folks are going?
(you can respond to me privately)

I watched some Caroliner and Superball concert videos over the weekend.

Mike

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 18:10:05 -0700
From: Fedgely Shep (guernica@HOTMAIL.COM)
Subject: 4AD Give-Away


For one lucky 4ad-l reader/poster:

The first correctly answered reply to the following 4AD trivia question will
receive a copy of the 1987 4AD label compilation "Lonely Is An Eyesore" on CD.
"First" is defined as earliest received e-mail based on time mail reaches my in
box.

The question is...  Of the songs from Dif Juz's two 4AD EP's, some were added
to the CD reissue of the "Extractions" album, however, some were not.  Name all
FOUR of these songs NOT INCLUDED on the CD reissue correctly and be the first
to reply to win!

- Red Atkins
Toronto, ON
guernica@hotmail.com


---------------------------------------------------------
Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
---------------------------------------------------------


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:09:37 -0700
From: Alex Wolfson (ajw6@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Subject: Re: 4AD Give-Away


Fedgely Shep wrote:
>
> For one lucky 4ad-l reader/poster:
>
> The first correctly answered reply to the following 4AD trivia question will
> receive a copy of the 1987 4AD label compilation "Lonely Is An Eyesore" on CD.
> "First" is defined as earliest received e-mail based on time mail reaches my i

> box.
>
> The question is...  Of the songs from Dif Juz's two 4AD EP's, some were added
> to the CD reissue of the "Extractions" album, however, some were not.  Name al

> FOUR of these songs NOT INCLUDED on the CD reissue correctly and be the first
> to reply to win!
>
> - Red Atkins
> Toronto, ON
> guernica@hotmail.com
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------
> Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
> ---------------------------------------------------------Answer:

>From the 1st EP: Mi, Cs
>From the Second: Heset, Diselt

Hope I win!

Alex

--

Alex Wolfson
Associate Director
Columbia Institute for Tele-Information
809 Uris Hall
New York, NY 10027-7004
212/854-4222
212/854-4368 (direct)
212/932-7816 (fax)
ajw6@columbia.edu


Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:42:45 EDT
From: andromeda (aleppo@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Subject: Re: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...


> > guitar solo did eventually end, and it was time for the puppet show.=20
> > That=92s right, on the left side of the stage, there was a cardboard
> > front with a monkey and a lion painted on it.  It looked like a
> =2E..
>
> Well, now I'm *extremely* excited for this show.  I hope they can do the
> whole puppet thing in Seattle too...  How many of you folks are going?
> (you can respond to me privately)
>
> I watched some Caroliner and Superball concert videos over the weekend.
>
> Mike
>

the only puppets they included in the new jersey show was the giant whale..
i guess that should read "puppet", and not even that since it was more of a
costume.,.. i cant believe i missed the puppet show.  drat.

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 20:36:34 -0700
From: Fedgely Shep (guernica@HOTMAIL.COM)
Subject: 4AD Give-Away # 1


Dear Aaron,

Congrats!  You are the lucky winner of the "Lonely Is An Eyesore" CD
compilation of 4AD artists.  You answered the question about Dif Juz correctly
and you were the first to reply.  To receive your CD, simply e-mail me back
your postal address.  The CD will then be sent to your doorstep shortly!

Thanks to all for partaking in this first in a series of 4AD Give-
Aways I'll be conducting in the future months, usually on some random Sunday or
Monday...

Fedgely Shep
guernica@hotmail.com



---------------------------------------------------------
Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:40:58 EDT
From: andromeda (aleppo@EDEN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Subject: Re: entertaining hnia forward enclosed...


>   this was taken from alt.music.4ad and leaves me a bit sick to
>   my stomach at what i may witness at luna park this week....
>
>   *k*
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -
> From: samples@ix.netcom.com(Samples)
> Newsgroups: alt.music.4ad
> Subject: HIS NAME IS CRAP
> Date: 1 Sep 1996 18:16:01 GMT
>
> Fierst, let me say this:  I own 3 His Name Is Alive CD=92s:  Livonioa,
> Home is in Your Head, and their latest, Stars on E.S.P.  The first two
> are not great (by a long shot), but they have their interesting
> moments.  I really like Stars on E.S.P., though.  It is a brilliant and
> catchy pop album.
>
> Also, I should mention that I have seen hundreds of bands live over the
> years, including most 4ad bands.  I have been dissappointed by plenty
> of concerts, but last night I saw the worst concert I have ever seen.
>
> I was so excited when I learned that HNIA was going to be playing in
> Dallas.  None of my friends like them at all, but I managed to talk one
> into going with me to the show.  Here is what happenned:
>
> The set started out with Warren (songwriter/guitarist) Defever by
> himself onstage.  He doodled on the guitar for about 15 minutes.  His
> guitar playing was awful.  It was boring, monotonous, and full of
> audible mistakes. I don=92t play the guitar, but I=92m pretty sure I could
> have done something more interesting if I was on the stage.  I joked to
> my friend that this piece was called =93Killing Time.=94  Mercifully, the
> guitar solo did eventually end, and it was time for the puppet show.=20
> That=92s right, on the left side of the stage, there was a cardboard
> front with a monkey and a lion painted on it.  It looked like a
> kindergarted mural.  The rest of the band rushed onstage.  The drumme
> sat down at the keyboard (I think it was a moog), and the other three
> hid behind the cardboard front.  What took place next would later be
> explained by Warren to be a puppet show of Jonah and the Whale.=20
> Musically, it consisted of warren and the drummer/keyboardist pounding
> out the same chord for about 10 or 15 minutes.  I can=92t really say that
> there were no dynamics, because it did get louder at one point.=20
> Visually, the puppet show consisted of unrecocnizable paper machet
> puppets being held up and shaken vigorously.  The band members doing
> the puppet show would take turns holding up different puppets and
> occasionally throw plastic toys and balloons into the audience.  This
> may sound cool to some people, but I assure you that it was stupid..=20
> The puppet show climaxed when one of the guys ran off of the stage and
> came back with a blue piece of cardboard on his head which I think was
> supposed to be a whale.  The whale ate one of the puppets, and the
> puppet show was over.  Thank God.
>
> Now it was time for me to be blown away by a great band performing all
> those great songs from Stars on E.S.P., right?  Wrong!
>
> When everone got situated on the stage, they were all sitting in
> chairs, and Karen Oliver, the singer, was sitting on the floor to the
> right of the stage with a tambourine.  They began to play, and Warren
> was singing; well he was trying to, at least.  He was, for the most
> part, unable to carry a tune, although it didn=92t look like he was
> trying very hard.  The sound of the band was sluggish, whimpy, and out
> of tune.  Everyone on stage looked just as bored as I felt.  Karen
> continued to sit and sort of play her tambourine, mouthing along to the
> lyrics of the songs.  After a couple songs, Warren said that he doesn=92t
> usually sing all of the songs, but that Kaeren was felling a little
> sick.  He said she might sing a few songs later, becase he felt kinda
> sick too.  By this time I was beginning to feel a little sick myself.=20
> Show went on, just like that.  Out of tune, bored, boring, sounding and
> looking like they just needed to be put out of their misery.=20
> Occasionally, the bass player would do some backup vocals, attempting
> to harmonize with Warren.  This did much more harm that good.  Thier
> voices sounded like dying farm animals.  After each song, there was a
> short spatter of applause, followed by silence, followed by Warren
> saying something stupid, followed by more silence, followed by another
> lame attempt at a song. =20
>
> After about 8 songs or so, I asked my friend if he was ready to leave.=20
> He said yes.  I think he was ready to leave about 2 minutes into the
> puppet show.  As we were leaving, one of those silent moments popped
> up, and my friend decided to heckle.  He yelled, =93WHY DON=92T YOU PLAY
> SOMETHING LIKE YOU MEAN IT!!,=94 and I think he was right.  Warren
> responded with a little hurt-feelings sound, and a couple people in the
> audience gasped in shock, and a couple more yelled out =93fuck you!=94
>
> So, In the words of Johnny Rotten, =93Ever get the feeling you=92ve been
> cheated?=94  I sure felt that way.  I want my ten dollars back!
>
> Look, if you=92re in a band, and your singer is ill, either cancel the
> show, or go out onstage and do something experimental, do SOMETHING
> with passion!  Don=92t go out and do a half-ass,
> going-through-the-motions, we=92re-sorry-we-suck-but-thank-you-for-coming
> kind of show.  Even if the singer was healthy, she could not have saved
> this show by herself.  It was clear that no one on stage had any sort
> of talent for playing live music.  If I want to go see a sloppy,
> out-of-tune concert, I=92ll go see someone like Pavement, because they do
> it with STYLE!!
>
> I don=92t know who actually recorded Stars on E.S.P., but I don=92t see how
> it could have been the band I saw last night.
>
> Love,
> Michael-Head
>

this makes me sick.
i should have stopped reading after the part where it says the first two
albums are bad.


erikas@evo.org, last updated by Eyesore Automation on 9-2-1996